Source: The Sun
The case is thought to be the first time anyone has appeared in a British criminal court accused of making a fake holiday sickness compensation claim.
The prosecution told how the total fraud amounted to £52,000 and the claims for food poisoning were submitted by David Norman Solicitors.
District judge Andrew Shaw told the defendants, from Liverpool, that the case will be sent to crown court for trial and that the allegations represented a "sophisticated fraud with relatively high value of money claimed", the Mail reported.
The case was adjourned until a pre-trial hearing on August 10, and the defendants were given unconditional bail. In the past year tens of thousands of UK holidaymakers have made claims – worth around £3,000 to £5,000 each – despite reported sickness levels in resorts remaining stable.
Travel trade organisation Abta launched a campaign last month to stop a huge spike in claims.
It claims legislation designed to halt the surge in fraudulent whiplash claims – a cap on the legal fees that can be charged by solicitors pursuing personal injury cases – has fuelled the rise in travel sickness reports as it does not apply to incidents overseas.
It warns that holidaymakers pursuing fake or exaggerated claims risk ending up in prison either in the UK or abroad.